BVD Testing for the All Breeds All Britain Calf Show
Every animal entered to attend All Breed All Britain needs to either reside in a herd accredited free of BVD by a CHECS approved cattle health scheme or, at any time in its life, have been tested individually on a blood, milk or tissue sample for evidence of the BVD virus, with a negative result. Cattle Exhibitors will be required to show proof of either the accredited BVD free status of the animal’s herd of origin into which it was born or the individual animal’s BVD negative test result prior to the event.
If the animal isn’t tested for BVD and the herd isn’t part of a BVD accredited scheme, regardless of whether the animal has been vaccinated for BVD then an antigen (BVDag) test can be carried out, this can be done using a tissue or blood sample.
- Contact your tag supplier to obtain a management BVD tissue button tag.
- Tag the animal and send the sample into CIS (or alternative UKAS accredited BVD testing lab).
- CIS will test the sample and report the results back within 5 days of receipt of the sample (other labs may vary).
- Once you have your BVD result for the animal, send a copy of the report to Lizzie Yates at firstname.lastname@example.org to verify the animal’s BVD status.
- Contact your vet who will be able to take a blood sample from the animal.
- This blood sample can then be sent to CIS along with paperwork to note the farm and animal details (or alternative UKAS accredited BVD testing lab).
- CIS will test and report the results within 5 days of receipt of the sample.
- Once the results have been received send a copy to Lizzie Yates at email@example.com to verify the animal’s BVD status.
BVD Test Charges at CIS
BVDag Tissue - £3.95 Ex VAT
BVDag Blood - £4.30 Ex VAT
To arrange BVD Testing please contact your local CIS Field Manager on 01923 695319.